- Video: How to Prevent Infection after Surgery Source: Fox 11 News (Wednesday September 21, 2011)
California patient safety advocate, Alicia Cole, discusses what you should do to stay safe in the hospital. Alicia almost died from a flesh-eating bacteria she contracted following routine fibroid surgery.
- Patient's death heightens tensions after strike Source: San Francisco Chronicle (Monday September 26, 2011)
Tensions heighten around a patient death due to possible medical error in Oakland, California.
- Woman's death raises questions about nursing home medical records Source: Sacramento Bee (Monday September 19, 2011)
Don Esco sought skilled nursing care at a Placerville facility for Johnnie, his wife of nearly 61 years, when she was recuperating from a bout with pneumonia. She died 13 days later. Esco sued, alleging that the medical charts lied about Johnnie’s treatment.
- Falsified patient records are untold story of California nursing home care Source: Sacramento Bee (Sunday September 18, 2011)
The practice of nursing homes altering patients’ medical records masks serious conditions and covers up care not given. A Bee review of nearly 150 cases of alleged chart falsification in California reveals how the practice puts patients at risk and sometimes leads to death.
- 12 hospitals are fined over medical errors Source: Los Angeles Times (Thursday September 8, 2011)
The California Department of Public Health fines 12 hospitals for patient safety violations likely to cause serious injury or death.
- Hospitals fined $650k for patient safety violations in California Source: Fierce Healthcare (Thursday September 8, 2011)
A dozen California hospitals are fined with a total of $650,000 for patient safety violations. The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) yesterday announced that these hospitals failed to comply with requirements that would likely cause serious injury or death to their patients.
- Family: Errors at Children's Hospital Contributed to Boy's Death Source: KTLA (Friday September 2, 2011)
A California family is claiming that their loved one suffered medical errors at a children’s hospital that lead to his death.
- Survivor of hospital-acquired infection sounds a call for reform Source: San Jose Mercury News (Wednesday August 31, 2011)
Hospital infection survivor and “numerator,” Kerry O’Connell describes the emotional and physical impact of hospital infection on patients and calls for more empathy and honesty from our health care providers.
- Hospital-related infections drop under California initiative Source: Los Angeles Times (Tuesday August 23, 2011)
Scores of California hospitals, under pressure to reduce infections that kill an estimated 12,000 patients every year, say they have managed to cut costs and save lives through an initiative that has nurses and doctors redoubling efforts to prevent deadly germs from taking root.
- California medical board fails to discipline 710 troubled doctors Source: Los Angeles Times (Wednesday August 10, 2011)
Of the California doctors who escaped state discipline, 35% had more than one disciplinary action from another entity, according to the Public Citizen report.