On November 22, 2007 my mother was rushed to the ER of a Pennsylvania hospital where she was diagnosed with a severe bacterial infection caused by Clostridium Difficile. She had been exhibiting symptoms of this infection for several days prior, which was left untreated. Her symptoms included persistent diarrhea, a high fever and abnormally high white blood cell count. After being diagnosed with this infection it was suggested that she undergo emergency surgery to remove the â€œinfected and diseasedâ€ parts of her colon. It was explained to us that it was her only chance of survival. She underwent surgery the next morning. Unfortunately, the surgery was not successful in controlling the spread of the infection, as that it had infected other parts of her body. Sadly, she died from this infection the early morning of November 24, 2007.
State Disclosure Reports
Consumers Union Documents
- State Hospital Infection Public Reporting Laws
Summary of state laws hospital infection reporting laws.
- New Mexico hospitals voluntarily disclose infection rates. Should they have to disclose them publicly? Source: The New Mexico Independent (Wednesday April 7, 2010)
27 states already require public reporting of infection rates–what’s the hold up with New Mexico?
- Infection led to ex-Gallup bishop's death Source: News West 9 TV (Tuesday January 12, 2010)
Gallup, NM: The nation’s first Native American Roman Catholic bishop died from internal bleeding and a sepsis infection.
Research and Reports
- NEW MEXICO HEALTHCARE-ASSOCIATED INFECTIONS PREVENTION PLAN
NEW MEXICO HEALTHCARE-ASSOCIATED INFECTIONS PREVENTION PLAN
- New Mexico MRSA Collaborative reports year-long results on MRSA bloodstream infections (PDF)
The New Mexico MRSA Collaborative reports that, after its year-long efforts to reduce healthcare-acquired MRSA infections, participating hospitals reduced their rate of MRSA bloodstream infections by 48 percent over 12 months. In essence, about 17 MRSA cases were avoided as a result of the efforts made by collaborative participants. Read the report here.