Frequency of asymptomatic carriers of SARS-CoV-2 among children and adults after school reopening
Cross-sectional study at the pediatric and non-pediatric emergency room of the Ca ‘Granda Ospedale Maggiore (Milan) between 1 and 31 October 2020, i.e. 3 weeks after the reopening of the schools. Study population: Patients admitted to brief observation in ED and with no signs or symptoms consistent with SARS-CoV-2. These patients underwent a nasopharyngeal swab sample for detection of SARS-CoV-2.
The frequency of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 was similar between children and adults. Considering the emerging spread of new SARS-CoV-2 variants, the asymptomatic spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection in both population groups should be monitored, the authors suggest.
Covid, no contraindications to surgical masks in children aged 12 months and over
2 March 2021. Assessment of Respiratory Function in Infants and Young Children Wearing Face Masks During the COVID-19 PandemicChildren aged 12 months and over can wear the surgical mask without contraindications, a safety measure that, if worn by everyone, will certainly drop the infectivity index.
- This was stated by Professor Riccardo Lubrano, director of the Maternal-Infant Department of the Sapienza University of Rome, Polo Pontino, who led a scientific study published in the Jama Network journal.
- The research stems from the need to verify the guidelines which state that children under 6 should not use surgical masks because they could be harmful to their health.
- In fact, these guidelines have not had any technical verification nor is there any article that technically demonstrates whether or not these children can use the surgical mask. The mask, hand washing and spacing remain the three unavoidable points to avoid the spread of an infection.
The study involved a group of over 40 children
Some over 2 years old and others under 2 years old: “We monitored them for 30 minutes to observe the basic parameters, then for another 30 minutes we kept them with the mask while they played. calm, as if they were in kindergarten.
Finally, for another 15 minutes we made them walk quickly, a walking test. In total, it was an hour and a quarter in which we recorded the trend of saturation, heart rate and respiratory rate, as well as the partial pressure at the end of expiration for carbon dioxide (EpCO2) “.
- The use of the mask did not change any parameters, both in older children and in those of 12 months and this means that the child can hold the mask and hinder the spread of the virus “. 1 December 2020.
- A study published in Pediatrics has found that children were as likely as adults to contract COVID-19 within their families, and although children only spread the virus in a fifth of homes, their lack of severe symptoms may have allowed their infections to escape detection.
Led by researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the study enrolled 58 families with 120 adult and 68 pediatric contacts from March to May. Transmission of COVID-19 from children to adults may have occurred in 2 in 10 (20%) families with members susceptible to the virus, and children may have spread the virus to other children in 1 in 6 cases.