- Dan Markingson's mother blasts U of M vice president's suicide comments Source: City Pages (Wednesday March 2, 2011)
Mother enters a heated debate on how the University of Minnesota should handle controversy surrounding the 2004 suicide of her son, Dan Markingson. Dan was involved in a drug study at the U of M.
- Abbott nurse accused of stealing painkiller Source: Star Tribune (Thursday February 10, 2011)
A Minneapolis nurse charged with stealing pain medicine from an ailing patient.
- Medication errors rise sharply at Minnesota hospitals Source: Star Tribune (Wednesday January 19, 2011)
Annual statewide report shows spike in medication errors during previous year.
- Minnesota Medical Mistake Report Released Source: Minnesota Fox 9 (Thursday January 9, 20)
“While mistakes in the state are still considered rare, officials were hoping for an improvement in the numbers — and say “holding steady” is not good enough.”
- U. of Minnesota profs demand investigation of drug trial death Source: MedCity News (Monday December 6, 2010)
A group of University of Minnesota professors want the board of regents to investigate the suicide of a patient enrolled in a university-run drug study.
- Heavy patient falls off operating room table — later dies Source: Seattle Times (Wednesday July 28, 2010)
A 300-pound sedated patient who was awaiting a routine procedure fell off an operating table and later died. Accidents like these should be prevented before it’s too late.
- What do patients want? And why it matters for Sunshine
This Community Catalyst blog discusses the Physician Payments Sunshine Act passed in the health care reform legislation. It creates a national public website where drug and device companies will report payments and gifts to doctors. Consumers will be able to search the site.
- Editorial: Medical Mistakes Source: The Philadelphia Inquirer (Tuesday March 10, 2009)
New Jersey legislation would give public hospital-specific information on medical errors.