Consumers Union Documents
- State Medical Error Report Links
Reports from the states with laws requiring public reporting of medical errors.
- Take Action on Nevada Medical Error Bills
Take Action on Nevada Medical Error Bills
- State Hospital Infection Public Reporting Laws
Summary of state laws hospital infection reporting laws.
- Hospital Infection Event in Las Vegas, October 17, 2012
Source: Office of Public Health Informatics & Epidemiology (Friday September 28, 2012)
Event flyer. Consumer Champions in Infection Prevention event in Las Vegas, October 17, 2012.
- Investigation Launched at Reno VA Hospital
Source: KRNV Reno (Thursday October 27, 2011)
An investigation is underway at the Reno Veterans Administration hospital after union members voiced concerns about staffing and the quality of care at the facility.
- Doctor who pleaded guilty to concealing fraud regains full license
Source: Las Vegas Sun (Wednesday October 5, 2011)
Nevada Medical Board restores a doctor’s license after he pleaded guilty to concealing fraud in a malpractice case where the patient became paralyzed after a surgery he participated in. Yet another case of a licensing board protecting the licensee rather than the public.
- Lupron verdict in Las Vegas trial deals blow to victims
Source: KTNV-TV (Wednesday August 10, 2011)
A major defeat in federal court today for women across the country who say their life and health has been destroyed by a drug that’s supposed to relieve pain.
- Trial for ‘overpriced poison’ Lupron begins in Las Vegas federal court
Source: KTNV Las Vegas (Monday August 1, 2011)
Lupron, a man-made form of a hormone that regulates many processes in the body, is under trial in Las Vegas in a federal case concerning the drug’s harmful side effects.
- Grave errors often not reported, data suggest
Source: Reno Gazette-Journal (Sunday June 19, 2011)
Nevada’s new reporting laws will help Nevadans make decisions about care and shed light on whether hospitals are reporting their errors accurately.
- Hospital infections often not reported
Source: Reno Gazette (Monday May 16, 2011)
A review of billing data shows that there are more infections in hospitals than are reported to the state.
- Las Vegas Sun named Pulitzer Prize finalist for series on hospital care in Las Vegas
Source: Daily Reporter (Monday April 18, 2011)
Marshall Allen and Alex Richards wokrdded two years on an investigative report on the safety of Las Vegas hospitals, combing through almost 3 millioin billing records. Read the series The series “Do No Harm: Hospital Care in Las Vegas.”
- Health care transparency bills clear state Senate committee
Source: Las Vegas Sun (Thursday April 14, 2011)
Nevada has come a long way getting hospital safety information to the public. Five bills this session require public reporting of infections and other medical errors.
- How Safe is Your Hospital? NV Legislation Addresses the Issues
Source: Public News Service (Tuesday April 12, 2011)
“Nevadans could find out a whole lot more about infection rates and other safety issues at local hospitals and nursing homes, with five bills on such matters up for discussion today in the Legislature.”
Research and Reports
- Nevada Sentinel “Never Events” listThe Nevada Hospital Association has a list of all sentinel events for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by hospital type; sentinel event type and sentinel event outcome.